Posted: August 6, 2020
ROASTED CHICKEN SERVED WITH BACON, MUSHROOMS, CROUTONS & JUS GRAS
Recipe & pairing created by Mitchelton Executive Chef, Dan Hawkins
Everyone loves a home-style roast chicken, it is a staple on many Australian family’s table. Our version of roast chicken is served with a hearty garnish of bacon, mushrooms and croutons, the idea being that all the ingredients you could find in a nice chicken stuffing you serve with the bird instead.
Preparing the bird for roasting – Brining
Brining the chicken before you roast it will assist in seasoning and tenderness. You can make your brine in advance and keep in the fridge. If you are making the brine on roasting day replace half the water with its weight in ice to chill quickly.
80g table salt120g castor sugar
2 bay leaves
1. Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve.
2. Place in the refrigerator until cold to touch, or until needed.
3. Place the chicken into the brine breast side down for 4-6 hours.
4. Remove chicken and bay leaf and pat dry with a paper towel.
Roasting the chicken
1 brown onion, peeled
1 carrot, peeled
1 celery stick
1 brined chicken
Bay leaf from the brine
Olive oil, salt & pepper
1. Roughly chop the onion, carrot and celery.
2. Heat a fry pan, add the vegetables and bay leaf and cook until soft and coloured.
3. While this is happening pre-heat your oven to 190°c fan forced
4. Add the cooked vegetables to your roasting dish. Place the brined chicken on top.
5. Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with salt & pepper directly to the skin.
6. Roast at 190°c in the fan forced oven for 45-50 minutes.
The literal translation for Jus Gras is fatty juice, and it is the process of mounting the roasting juices off the chicken with either the rendered fat from roasting or with butter. Doing this will make the sauce very rich and glossy.
Remaining vegetables from roasting (remove bay leaf)
All roasting juices and rendered fat from the roasting tray
300ml chicken stock
1. Heat the chicken stock.
2. In a blender add the roasted vegetables and all the tray juices.
3. Blend on low speed to create a vegetable puree.
4. Increase the speed and slowly add the hot chicken stock until the mix creates a thin sauce. Continuing to blend, add the butter and check the seasoning to taste.
Serve this perfectly roasted chicken with fried smokey bacon bits, sauteed mushrooms with tarragon, char-grilled sourdough croutons, fresh garden leaves and all finished with a drizzle of the delicious, rich, velvet smooth sauce. What more could you want? A chilled glass of the Preece Nagambie Chardonnay!
Or head over to our web store to see all our fantastic Chardonnay’s to match : https://www.vendimia.com.au/store/?query=chardonnay